Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | Luminary | TuneIn | Radio.com | iHeart Radio | Podbean | Amazon Music
...or find FitFizz on any podcast app!
Last week I explained what medical gaslighting is. Today I’m giving you 11 ways to empower yourself if you find yourself being medically gaslit.
In this episode, you’ll learn how to shift your preparation, language, and mindset so that you’ll never leave the doctor feeling defeated or hopeless again.
But what do you when you’re being medically gaslit by a doctor?
1. Go with the attitude that you are a knowledgeable, empowered, proactive person, as opposed to a distraught victim (even if you really do feel that way). This alone can shift the energy in the room and possibly get your doctor to take you a bit more seriously.
4. Don’t let them try to tell you that nothing is wrong if you truly feel that something is wrong. They might absolutely believe that nothing is wrong with you but that’s because their knowledge or training is limited. If you know that something is wrong, maintain your confidence to fully believe it, and don’t let them convince you that you’re “fine”.
5. Phrase things to get them on your side. If they’re dismissive and say “Oh, well that’s normal”, one way that you can phrase things is to emphasize that what you’re feeling is not normal for you. That alone makes it valid. Emphasize that you’re concerned about your health. (Factually, not emotionally.) Get them on your side by saying something in a sense that you want to work WITH them, not “you need to fix this for me”.
8. Whether you’re seeing a regular doctor or even a functional medicine doctor, they are going to diagnose, prescribe and the rest is on you. Whether or not you choose to accept the diagnosis or prescription that’s up to you. ALL of the time.
9. You might have to do extra lab testing on your own. Just like I did. You can do so here.
· Tell them that you’d like a copy of where it’s stated.
· Get the copy before you leave. Do not let them tell you they will send it later.
10. Just because they refer you to a specialist, it doesn’t mean that’s the next best step to take. It might mean they simply don’t know what else to do next.
Do not be fooled by this medical system. If you’re not stepping outside the same system, it’s highly likely they will keep on the same downward spiral that you’ve already been on.
11. Pay attention to when your doctor doesn’t directly answer your questions or when they give an answer that leaves you still feeling lost. Try not to get discouraged or let them feel that they are superior to you, or that you’re stupid because you don’t understand everything they’re telling you.
I’m Kelly Wilson, owner of fitfizzstudio.com and I’m a personal trainer, nutrition coach, behavior change specialist, autoimmune disease educator and I’ve worked in the health and fitness industry for over 25 years.
I’m here to help you ditch the gimmicks, finding strength through your struggles, give you the knowledge for making the smartest choices for your own health and to remind you to celebrate victory all along the way.
Questions, thoughts or comments?
You can contact me about this episode in two ways. Messages might be played or read on the show but will be kept anonymous.
Subscribe on your favorite podcast app!
Please leave a rating or review and share the podcast with a friend.
The information shared is for educational and informational purposes only. It should not be interpreted as an intent to diagnose, treat, cure, heal or prescribe.