Nutrition confusion is everywhere, right? Or does it depend on the source? Today we’re focusing on the “ditch the gimmicks” part of what I always say in the show intro. We’ve all seen the news articles with headlines like “Coconut oil will lower your cholesterol”, then a month later a headline reads “Coconut oil may be a leading cause of heart disease”. It doesn’t get much more conflicting than that, right? There are endless examples of this which all lead to mass confusion and mountains of misinformation surrounding nutrition and the people who like to share and repost articles like these, are really JUST sharing a headline — they’re not sharing news, really because most people don’t actually read the articles. Just the headlines. Even if they did read them, the info is misleading at best or secretly sponsored by a company that is trying to profit from a certain food or product. This is one big reason that we as consumers have got to be smarter than headlines.
But why does it have to be so confusing in the first place? What can you trust? Listen to the full episode to hear several more reasons why it can be so confusing.
Other highlights in this episode:
• Why it’s a good thing if you notice conflicting information
• Why we are in the infancy stage of nutrition information
• How to fine-tune your skepticism if there’s a headline that seems questionable
• Using Pub Med as a resource for valid information
• Why more studies are done on animals than humans
• How to scrutinize the source of information in the media
• Reminders about the accuracy of caloric measurements
• Why important information gets left out
• Why you should be cautious of articles or blog posts with no date
Subscribe on your favorite podcast app!
Please leave a rating or review and share the podcast with a friend.
The information shared is for educational and informational purposes only. It should not be interpreted as an intent to diagnose, treat, cure, heal or prescribe.
Set up a 1-on-1 coaching appointment to discuss any of your issues with boundaries, working out, motivation or healthier eating:
FREE 5-Day Flush the Sugar Fiesta!
Totally free and delivered to your inbox.